Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Practicum Skills Test

I PASSED! (: 
My first skills test is out of the way... I am on my way to becoming a Nurse!


I know I am a CNA, so I'm not quite sure why I was so worried--I have passed a test like this before. Even though I know these skills by hears, its different when you are performing them for a teacher. I do have to say--there is something terrifying about an instructor watching you perform a skill; watching your every move, waiting for you to make a mistake.

There were only 3 skills that we had to perform--Vital Signs (Pulse and Blood Pressure), Putting in a Urinary Cath, and a random skill out of the "grab bad" (I got change a sterile dressing). Seems pretty easy right?

Of course, the skill that I was most confident in gave me the most trouble--Vital Signs. I do these every time I work. I have done them dozens of times on old people--and those are the hardest to hear! The classmate I was paired up with was obviously super nervous. I second guessed myself when I heard her BP and had to take it twice to get my final number--but I got it correct. Whoo. My partner's pulse also threw me off completely... I took it on her wrist to start--I counted 72 for 30 seconds. That is also an extremely high number. Welcome to the world of nursing...where patients VS will be wacky everyday, and I will have to take them!

The rest of the skills were passed with ease, thankfully! So if anyone needs an enema or a catheter--I'm your lady! (;
I am ready for my first clinical adventure as a nursing student!
Our orientation is tomorrow morning at Maryview Medical Hospital in Portsmouth, VA.
Finally something exciting! I am beyond sick of power points and theory. I am ready to do some hands on learning and put this theory to good use! Thank goodness clinicals are finally here!!

This is how I have felt all week...

No comments:

Post a Comment